Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Cranes Are Flying

I just saw The Cranes Are Flying (1957 Russian) last night and got to cry. I've been browsing Anne Frank and Holocaust memorials and downloaded the movie Crossing about North Korea. I don't why, but I've been having trouble concentrating during classes or studying lately...I've been writing poems in Physics class...it seems that's the only time I write anything interesting. Sigh. Anyway, The Cranes Are Flying is a GOOD movie. It is about what happens to a country or families during a war, how there is so much destruction and loss and yet having the strength to still hope and love and hold no bitterness or hatred. The actress is looks a little bit like Larissa in The Cruel Romance (Zhestokiy Romans) only she is so 1950s--innocent and good. This girl reminds me a little of St. Bernadette in The Song of Bernadette. Anyway, I also recommend that film, as well as Crossing. How beautiful and good are these stories that have so much pain and yet so much hope and belief in the eternal!