Saturday, October 29, 2011

I was afraid

I was afraid, so I did not learn.
I did not learn, so I was afraid.
I might be wrong, so I did not wish to know.
What I loved might be gone, so I wished to hide.
What I believed might be false, so I cried.
Then I became false, became afraid, became alone.
And Then I heard a song within my heart echoed in the skies.

It was dark, so I did not know
whose figures, faces, feet walked beside
But I heard their voice--one song, arise.
And like the dawn it rose,
over the mountainside.

I cried and cried--because it was my own,
I had thought I was alone,
but was not, neither was it mine.
It echoed through the night,
and pierced my fright with peace,
and weak with might.
This air shook me--hair and bone,
because it carried something great--far greater
than I could ever have sung or known.

Now I walk above the lights far down beneath the path,
I can see where I can fall off,
yet do not.
Downwards I can see that warmth and fellowship of light
that comforts those who dwell inside with sight--
But I am not.
Stars are lights to me instead,
for though they give few light to go-
-it is enough, for now I know
path is here, and I must climb in spite of fear.
How the wind blows! How cold!
But my heart is warm, because my soul is free.