Monday, March 28, 2011

3rd week of Lent: entry

My spring break's over and I have a midterm today I don't think I'm ready for. It's been raining tons and the dogwoods are all in bloom. I haven't kept up with my psalms at all but I have been lighting quantities of candles. Hmm...I think I must be seeped in Catholic guilt.
After talking with my family from seeing Tangled, I decided I was a bit extreme in my emotional response (sobbing in the car for half an hour etc.) and that I underestimated the power of unconditional love (vs. possessive love) and perhaps overestimated the danger of the shriveled soul to eternal perdition...in any right, it's not that my assumptions proved false as much as I tend to be emotionally skewed. I think I'm learning that I should not so forcefully assume my emotional reactions to be impartial truth. (In middle of this discussion, I got a free evaluation on my current mental-health from my certified child-psych practitioner and was prescribed long outdoor walks. I pointed out my whole spring break was spent weeding and gardening, but somehow this did not convince my family of my strong constitution.) Of course this isn't fair because I had spent that entire evening with a sleeping child and a very unusual thunderstorm compelling me to turn off all the electrical devices in the house and light candles for the rest of my family who were apparently oblivious to the danger in the theater--which I forgo for Lent. So to content myself, I of course studied Hamlet and found new evidence and clues to suggest that not only was Ophelia not mad but neither was her father Polonius. The only person who currently seems to lack "smarts"--or correct evaluation--because all smarts led to the characters' ruin--in the whole play is Laertes, though apparently he is the most popular and easily justified. I hope to explain more later. So far I've produced a number of poems from inspiration after crayoning with the kids--(I was trying to copy Chagall and got numerous criticisms).