Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lent day 18

I am busy studying today, but here is the count so far:
1st Sunday of Lent: psalms 2, 3, 4, 8, 121,
2nd Sunday of Lent: psalms 13, 11, 91
3rd Sunday of Lent: psalms 12, 19
The ones I already know previous to Lent not included are ps. 23, 1, 103.
(I re-memorized 121, 13, 91, 19.)

Last night I couldn't go to sleep very well because I drank some coffee and the neighbors bright green outdoor porch light was on. I tried reciting every single psalm I knew, and then tried tapping psalm 23 in morse code...(yes the coffee obviously affected me--my chest felt tight.)
Then I started preaching a sermon (in my head of course) reflecting on these words.

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
----Deutoronomy 6:4-9

and one of my favorite books that my Dad read to me when I was younger.

"remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs. And secondly, I give you a warning. Here on the mountain I have spoken to you clearly: I will not often do so down in Narnia. Here on the mountain, the air is clear and your mind is clear; as you drop down into Narnia, the air will thicken. Take great care that it does not confuse your mind. And the signs which you have learned here will not look at all as you expect them to look, when you meet them there. That is why it is so important to know them by heart and pay no attention to appearances. Remember the signs and believe the signs, Nothing else matters." ----The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair