Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lent day 25: Crossing



Yesterday I watched this really sad movie about North Korea called Crossing. I'm afraid all my little relatives were a little traumatized... But I do recommend it of course, considering that it is the first of its kind to talk about North Korea. The Voice of the Martyrs magazine says it is not very violent, though this is obviously comparative to reality, especially if you know or read anything about North Korea and communist concentration camps, which I have. If you have, than I think you would find this movie subtle, sweet, and sad. (I refrain from saying sentimental because I think sentimental implies a happier ending.) If you haven't read anything about North Korea or concentration camps than I think that you may find this film a little disturbing and depressing.
I think what makes movies so bittersweet and sentimental is because as a movie, it can only give a fraction of reality, and though reality can be much more ugly, reality somehow is able to be 3-D, giving you a dimension into the eternal in much better terms...That is, just as relieving as it is that no real actors got killed or tortured, you are not able to have the true ability to see eternally, because real faith and power only comes in great need--not on a camera set... (of course I am not suggesting torturing actors because it is like testing quantum mechanics)
Like quantum mechanics, faith is hard to experiment on... Doesn't it say "You shall not test the Lord your God"? So we are only able to give some of the ugliness, and part of the beauty--which is hard to satisfy because ugliness is easy to test and ask for, but beauty--true beauty is a little harder.